Telegram is one of the more popular messenger apps in the world. It's a cross-platform app that is available on Android, iOS, Windows Phone, and more. Telegram has a lot of features that make it a great platform for messaging. But, it does have some drawbacks and weaknesses, especially in terms of privacy and security when you compare it to other private messengers.
If you're done with Telegram, you may be wondering how to delete your account. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to delete your Telegram account. But before that, if you're still undecided, here are a few drawbacks and weaknesses of Telegram that are worth mentioning.
Telegram cons and weaknesses - why it may be worthwhile to delete your account:
To begin with, Telegram is not as secure and private as other messenger apps that you might be familiar with, starting with Kraden. While Telegram has features like end-to-end encryption and self-destructing messages, these features are not enabled by default. You have to go into the settings and enable them manually.
And even then, there are certain caveats. For example, self-destructing messages only work when you're chatting with another person one-on-one. If you're in a group chat, those messages will not delete themselves automatically.
Another thing to keep in mind is that even though Telegram uses end-to-end encryption, it's not super advanced. Very recently, there was a flaw discovered in Telegram's encryption protocol that allowed third parties to spy on users. The app relies on MTProto, a protocol for messaging that has been in the spotlight of some cryptographers who have labeled it as not super secure, a lot of it has to do with the fact that there isn't an open-source version of it.
In addition, Telegram keeps metadata about your chats, meaning that it knows who you're talking to and when. This information is not encrypted. So even if the contents of your messages are secure, the fact that you're talking to someone and when is not.
In terms of purely security reasons, you can do much better than Telegram.
Telegram's biggest weaknesses are that the end-to-end encryption is not on by default, it has limited self destructing messages, there are well-known security exploits followed by lots of metadata.
How to delete your Telegram account - a step-by-step guide
Deleting your Telegram account is a permanent process. Once you delete your account, you will not be able to recover it or any of your data.
Before you delete your account, we recommend that you:
- Export your chat history (optional)
- Delete all active sessions on all devices
- Revoke two-factor authentication (if you have it enabled)
- Delete your Telegram cloud chats
Now you can either set-up the deletion after a short period of time from your app or delete it remotely on your browser.
Set-up Telegram account deletion on iOS
- Open the Telegram app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Open the menu and click on the "Settings"
- In the "Settings" menu, click on "Privacy and Security"
- Under the "Account" settings, find "Delete My Account"
- Select the period, after which your account should be deleted
- Delete the app
That is it. Don't log in for a fixed amount of time and your account will be automatically deleted!
Deleting Telegram accounts on Android
The process for deleting your Telegram account on Android is very similar to the iOS process.
- Open the Telegram app on your Android device.
- Tap on the "Settings" tab in the bottom right corner.
- In the "Settings" menu, scroll down and tap on "Account."
- Under the "Account" settings, tap on "Delete My Account if away for."
- Select the period of time
- Confirm, delete the app and wait until the time has passed. Your app will then be deleted.
Deleting Telegram accounts remotely
You can delete your Telegram account (that's associated with your telephone number) on the official Telegram website
- Enter your phone number that's associated with your Telegram account.
- Click next
- Check your Telegram app to see the confirmation code that's sent to you
- Enter the confirmation code and press Sign in on your browser
- In this step, you can either enter in the reason why you're deleting your account or just leave it blank, it's up to you.
- Press on "Delete my Account"
- Confirm your intent to delete
That's it! This is the best and quickest way to delete your Telegram account.
Kraden advantages over Telegram in privacy
If you're looking for a more secure messaging experience for your private or business communications, Kraden
does offer a lot more privacy and security than Telegram. To name a few perks:
If someone tries to force you to give them your phone or see your Kraden messages, you can enter a duress code instead of your PIN. Doing that will permanently delete all of your chats and messages, without giving the attacker access to any of your data.
You can delete all of your messages and data from any device, even if it's lost or stolen. Kraden's remote wipe
gives you more control and flexibility over your data.
AES-256 encryption by default.
Kraden uses the most advanced encryption standard to protect your messages and data. None of your data is permanently stored on our servers and is always encrypted, meaning that 3rd parties can't see what you send.
Simple, unlimited P2P file transfers.
With Kraden, you can easily and securely send large files to anyone, without having to worry about size limits.
Telegram is a popular messaging app with a large user base. However, if you're looking for a more secure and private messaging experience, Kraden is a great option. Kraden offers more security and privacy features than Telegram, making it a more secure choice for your communications.
To delete your account, you can either do it on your smartphone or tablet by triggering auto deletion after a period of inactivity or delete your account from the web browser.